How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2592
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Family Physician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have The InterStim iCon Model 3037 implant since 9/3/2010.

Customer Question

I have The InterStim iCon Model 3037 implant since 9/3/2010. We were in Hawaii when I received it, however, in 2013 we moved to North Carolina. I have not been able to find anyone to help me as I have been having a lot of pain with it and some other problems. I am trying to find out if it is just me or if others have had problems with these units too. Madeline Stolk/*****@******.***
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: I am not sure (as I said I have not found a doctor here who deals with this device) and I am sure I need to see someone about it. Also, as an aside to this, I did have major back surgery here at New Hanover Hospital in Wilmington NC in April 2014 and the unit was not a problem at that time. I have been cleared from that surgery for some time now.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Are you looking to have the device removed or modified or are you more interested in your legal options at this point?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe at this point in time it should be removed but I also think I need a qualified Urologist who has done these procedures to verify my problems. As my email states I had a rather extensive back surgery done in April 2014 at New Hanover Hospital here in Wilmington, NC. The surgery went well (and I am doing well), however, after the 8 hr surgery within approx. 30 min. my abdomen started to swell and they had to rush me in and cut me down the front to ensure there was no excessive bleeding. When they put me under a 2nd time for an additional 3 hrs, I did not breathe on my own for 5 days. Therefore, I am concerned about having this device removed due to anesthesia. I want it removed but need to explore all options. It has created pain in the area and my left hip and it is not working at all with regards ***** ***** control. Thank you. *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am just checking, It has been awhile are you still responding?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. Rick,
I cannot keep checking for your answer - it has been almost 2 hours as it is almost 8:20 PM now. I must assume that you are not going to be responding any time soon if at all.
Madeline *****
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.


I had all 4 of my Grandkids after clinic today so that my Wife and daughters could experience some "child free" girl time. Now I know why parenting is for the young! ;)

you will need general anesthesia to remove this device....although, perhaps, you could have a high spinal anesthesia. The only way to know for sure would be to consult with an experienced anesthesiologist.

Would you like me to help you find an experienced team in your area so you can consult with them concerning the removal of your InterStim iCon Model 3037 , as well as future treatment?