Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have been having the same issues for approximately five

Customer Question
Hi my name is***** have...
Hi my name is***** have been having the same issues for approximately five months now. I have been in and out the hospital twice in the last two months to two to three months with the same issues first one was due to a thought I was having a heart attack do to the chest pain and tightness in the chest and it was not that I had high blood pressure and don't know why. Second time I was in the hospital was they thought I had food poisoning because I was throwing up and having diarrhea for 15 straight hours along with high blood pressure in the chest pain again. I have had lower left abdominal pain that radiates to the back on both sides of my back. I have a sore throat and a bad taste in back of my mouth off and on. I am fatigued a lot which I normally am not and also I have unexplained weight loss period. I am tired of being mistakenly diagnosed over the last five months and I am lost at work to go. I have had to CT scans 1 with contrast and one without and I am having an ultrasound tomorrow morning. I am scheduled for a colonoscopy and an endoscopy in 2 weeks so hopefully I will find out soon so please give me your thoughts thank you.
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
4/4/2016
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

You list a fairly complex list of symptoms..

At first glance I would not necessarily think that all these symptoms were necessarily connected..

Let's work to break down some of these issues...

Blood pressure >> do you have high blood pressure? That seems back and forth a bit in your history above... what does your BP and pulse typically run if you know ??

How much weight have you lost ? Over what period of time? How much do you currently weigh? What is your height?

Has there been a change in your activity? Have you tried to lose weight? Have you been nauseated? Do you lack appetite?

The second hospital visit sounds very different to me than the first...

Chest pain evaluation is common.. did they come to a conclusionas to cause? I presume that heart trouble was ruled out?

What is your age?

Did they think that you might have esophageal spasm? GERD? Reflux? Other?

Left lower abdominal pain that radiates to the back >> has urine been checked? That OK ? No blood or protein? No UTI? Prostate checked and no prostate infection? Renal CT done? Kidney stones ruled out?

I would agree with the endoscopy and colonoscopy to help rule out GI problems... gastritis or ulcer disease could cause a drop in appetite and could explain prior episode of vomiting > could help to explain weight loss...

I think that ruling out other potential problems of the GI tract is also needed >> Crohn's / Ulcerative colitis and lymphoma may be in need to rule out in your case... the tests runs and scheduled would help in that...

Reflux might explain the bad taste and frequent sore throat...

Potentially helpful steps in the current state of QUESTIONS as to your diagnosis could include steps to REDUCE stomach acid >> this may be helpful vs certain problems >>

so you might try taking an over the counter product such as Nexium or Prilosec daily for example >>

If you have high blood pressure then cut back on salt/sodium ///

Check and record daily your seated and after 1o minutes rest your PULSE AND BLOOD PRESSURE>> keep this record and review with your doctor ..

Labs may have already included CBC ( complete blood count)

inflammatory markers ( Sed rate and C-reactive protein)

Liver function tests /electrolytes/ renal function/ thyroid function...

It may have some benefit for you to try REFLUX PRECAUTIONS >>

1 >> Wait 1.5 hour after you eat BEFORE you lie down..

2 >> Elevate the head side of bed with blocks under the bedposts 4 to 6 inches ( keeps your trunk at a slight incline)

3 >> avoid GI irritants >> alcohol / coffee/ hot spicy or acidic foods/ ( tomato products, onions, peppers, citrus fruits) NSAIDs = anti-inflammatory meds such as aspirin, Aleve , Advil ( Tylenol is OK and not irritating to stomach )

I hope that this information is helpful for you!

Let me know if you have further details ( age, height, weight, weight loss , etc) / concerns /questions / discussion..

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor