Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Three days ago I started noticing my right leg is swollen up

Customer Question

hi. three days ago I started noticing my right leg is swollen up under the kneecaps and above the ankle. it comes and gets better on its own. I started taking iron pills 4 days ago. I noticed my stool is black also.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: i am taking blood pressure pills. i am over weight.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

taking iron can turn your stools dark brown color and black.

you should see a doctor and get stool testing to make sure there is no blood in your stools.

you should go to the ER about your right leg swelling. this could be a sign of a blood clot if you are having swelling in just one leg.

you are at risk for having blood clots in your legs if you are overweight.

do you have an ER or hospital close to you where you can get your leg checked for blood clot or DVT?