Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

What does this test result mean. I have CVID and receive

Customer Question
infusions every three weeks. I...
What does this test result mean. I have CVID and receive infusions every three weeks. I have been having some adverse side effects to the infusion so they ran some labs and I just got his one today. Does this mean anythingThyroglobulin AntibodyNote: Thyroglobulin Antibody measured by Beckman Coulter Methodology
12.9 IU/mL
(0.0-0.9 )
completed
High
03/24/2016
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
3/31/2016
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

A significantly elevate thyroglobin antibody is suggestive that there is an autoimmune disorder of the thyroid, but it can also be increased in thyroid cancer. If there are other thyroid antibodies present, that would be stronger evidence that it is due to an autoimmune thyroid disorder.

From the perspective of an autoimmune thyroid disorder, there should be review of thyroid function tests, which have usually already been drawn when the antibody tests were drawn. If the thyroid function tests are abnormal, then treatment would be oriented towards the findings of the function tests. For example, if the thyroid function tests show hypothyroidism, then treatment would involve thyroid hormone replacement. In the other hand, if the thyroid function tests are normal, then the usual approach is regular monitoring of thyroid function.

From the perspective of possible thyroid cancer, then the usual approach would be imaging of the thyroid gland, such as by thyroid ultrasound or nuclear medicine imaging.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor