Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My son is 8 just got over a cold last week 7 days ago. He

Customer Question
My son is 8 just...
My son is 8 just got over a cold last week 7 days ago. He has snot still and now he said that his ears are cracking and pop. Does that mean he has an infection?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: What info do u need?
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: It's complicated. My son got strep in February 1st and got verbal clearing throat tic then got physical tics. Within two days. I took him to the doctor and he said it was allergies then took my son back in 2 days they swabbed him and he was positive with strep rapid test
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: He was on antibiotics for 24 days amox x colv
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
3/30/2016
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

The popping and cracking in the ear does not mean that the ears have gotten secondarily infected. It does mean that there is some inflammation and congestion, either in the ear itself or affecting the opening of the Eustachian tube that connects the middle ear with the back of the throat.

It is common for someone that has recently recovered from a cold to have some persistent inflammation and congestion that can persist for weeks. This can be due to allergies, but also can be non-allergic inflammation. This happens to me whenever I get a cold. The exact location of the inflammation will determine the symptoms that are present, including the nasal drainage that you describe as snot, but also the popping and cracking in the ears.

8 year olds are generally reliable in reporting whether there is any pain in the ear or a significant loss of hearing. As long as he does not have any pain or significant loss of hearing or any systemic signs of infection, such as a fever, then you do not need to be concerned about any secondary ear infection. Even with pain or decreased hearing, it may not be infected, but if these symptoms develop, it would be appropriate to be concerned about an ear infection. It is also true that even if infected, many ear infections can resolve spontaneously, particularly in older children and adults, so the current recommendations are to only use antibiotics for more severe infections or persistent infections.

Therefore, at this point, the symptoms are not indicative of an infection, but if he develops the above symptoms, then an infection may be present.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/

Dr. D. Love, Doctor