Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am constantly constipated. Eat very small fourth of yogurt

Customer Question

I am constantly constipated. Eat very small fourth of yogurt told I have gas taking extra strength cvs 125 ml gas med. no results but still have pain and feel full in lower back had surgery two weeks ago but not on any meds
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

The most reason for your constipation is the surgery, post operative medication (opiates) if prescribed, cause constipation. And then your diet which is low fiber and aggravates the constipation that occurred postoperatively. Even though you are off medication, the constipation has aggravated owing to a low fiber diet.

I would suggest that you start on metamucil (psyllium husk) two table spoons, thrice a day admixed with food, water or milk. Drink at least 3 liters of water per day, high fiber diet comprising green leafy vegetables, prunes, dried fruits and nuts and you can also start on a laxative like Lactulose syrup available over the counter 20 ml at night.

This should relieve your constipation in a couple of days.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating, that is the only way I get compensated for my time and effort.

Best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I use fiber on instead of Metamucil. It doesn't work for me
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Yes, of course, that can be used.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Best.