How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 18525
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband of 72 years of age who is in very good health and

Customer Question

my husband of 72 years of age who is in very good health and still works a 45 hr. work week in a head on collision last night with 2 wheels that broke off a semi truck and hit the front of his car and wind shield. very freaky accident. he was taken to the ed because he was covered in glass. he told the PA that his legs were hurting and his left side , around the kidney area. the PA just talked to him about how rare the accident was. he did not order any test xray at least. he discharged him and he couldnt walk. he was bent over at the waistline and knees bent and straddle legged. I was shocked. I asked NURSE PLEASE TAKE HIS CLOSE OFF AND CHECK HIM, SHE THEN SAID HE HAD BEEN RELEASED. AFTER WE FINALLY GOT HIM IN THE CAR HE ASKED FOR PAIN MEDS, WHICH HE NEVER DOES ! I HAVE SET UP WITH HIM ALL NIGHT AND HE IS SUFFERING. I PUT MY HEATING PAD ON HIS LOWER LEFT BACK SIDE AT HIS REQUEST. I HAVE GIVEN HIS HYDROCODONE 5-325 EVERY 4 HOURS. AND HE IS ASKING FOR MEDS EVERY 2 HRS. I DID GIVE HIM 1 REG ASPIRIN THE LAST HOUR WITH MEDS. HIS LEFT KNEE IS SWOLLEN MUCH LARGER THAN THE RIGHT. HE IS 6FT 215 LBS. SHOULD I TAKE HIM BACK OR TO ANOTHER HOSP? THE CAR WAS SMASHED UP TO THE DASH. HE MUST HAVE HIT HIS KNEES!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. I am sorry that your husband has been having so much difficulty.

Yes, it would be appropriate for you to take him to an ER. As for which hospital ER, that is more complex. Returning to the same ER would likely involve a different physician or assistant, since it will be another shift.

If you have several ERs to choose from, the best option would be one that is certified as a trauma center, as it would usually have better orientation towards dealing with trauma cases. If there is no certified trauma center in your community, then it would be OK to go to whichever ER that is closest or at the hospital that you would usually prefer, even if it is the same facility in which he was seen last night.

If it is not readily apparent whether any local hospital ER is a trauma center, I can try to find the closest one to you if you can let me know where you live. (I realize that you entered your location when you registered for the site, but all personal information is blocked to anyone except the business office.)

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at