Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

49 yr old woman. Breast cancer history 2008. No modes, mets.

Customer Question
Bad case of tonsillitis in...
49 yr old woman. Breast cancer history 2008. No modes, mets. Bad case of tonsillitis in late Jan. Recovered but dealing with post nasal drip issues must likely due to reflux (determined by ENT by scope- inflammation around chords seen), endoscopy done by gastro- small hiatal hernia & mild gastritis. 125 lbs. 5'4". Watching diet. PROBLEM- lots of PND in am. Taking PPI and Claritin (allergy test determined allergic to dust & mold). But for past 2 months, every once in a while I will cough up rust colored sputum. Sometimes from back of throat, sometimes seems it's coming from below. Followed by oncologist. Last lung CT IN 11/14 clear. Never smoked but patents did and mother died of lung cancer-- so this unnerves me very much. Possible to have rust colored ( blood?) from PND/ reflux issues? No other symptoms. Has happened 5-6x past 3 mo.
Thank you for your kind consideration.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
3/21/2016
Doctor: DIEGO BONILLA, Doctor replied 1 year ago
DIEGO BONILLA

Hello

This is Dr. Diego. I'm a physician from Boston with training in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care

Post nasal drip is a common problem in patients that have allergies. It's also called allergic rhinitis. The rust color is part of the inflammation most likely from the mucosa around your nose. Usually an intranasal steroid is used as the main treatment. If the PND persist intranasal atrovent could be use to decrease the PND. The history of cancer is unlikely to be related to this episode. You can check with your PCP, allergist or pulmonologist to have this treated.

DIEGO BONILLA
DIEGO BONILLA
DIEGO BONILLA, Doctor