Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I came down with a bad cold two weeks ago. I can't seem to

Customer Question
I came down with a...
I came down with a bad cold two weeks ago. I can't seem to get rid of the cough and congestion. I have tried all the OTC remedies. I try not to use antibiotics. Any other ideas I might try?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
3/21/2016
Doctor: Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor

Thank you for your question, it is common to have symptoms of cough and congestion for several weeks after cold infections because most of them are viral in origin and it taken 4 weeks for these to settle. You can try taking more warm water, soups, inhale hot water steam, use nasal decongestants which are available over counter like albus oil drops, vicks. In most cases these measure help to make early recovery.

Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hello

I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified US doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.

I have a different answer.

It is not common to have it this long without bronchitis.

You might need inhaler treatments, not antibiotics.

And you need to rule out pneumonia. In particular, atypical pneumonia, which can cause lingering cough without other symptoms, until you get in trouble. That WOULD need antibiotics.

Have an exam today.

That is a standard of care recommendation.

I am a US doctor, double board certified.

Please click a positive.

Find me as needed.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician