How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2592
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Family Physician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a pain in my sternum when I sneeze and feel it when I

Customer Question

Hi, I have a pain in my sternum when I sneeze and feel it when I stretch.. It also hurts when I press on the area just above my pecs in the middle of my chest.. This has been going on for around a year now.. Any ideas please
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

you should see a doctor and get this area examined.

you might need a chest xray or a chest CT scan to check for issues in the area

you could be having bad costochondritis inflammation of cartiage or ribs in the area

you could have a hairline fracture in your sternum from prior trauma

you could have something abnormal going on behind your sternum in your anterior mediastinum.

do you have a doctor you can see who can do some tests and examine the area ?

do you have health insurance to be able to see a doctor?