Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I had a herniated disk. In 2014 I had surgery. Since then I

Customer Question
have had problems with the...
I had a herniated disk. In 2014 I had surgery. Since then I have had problems with the function of my left leg. I had surgery again in 2015. I can barely walk. Can I do anything.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2016
Doctor: Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician

Thank you for your question.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

When was the last time you had the MRI done?

Have you been to a pain medicine doctor as yet?

Have you had eipdural nerve blocks? or coritsone injections in the back?

Please let me know.

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My last mri was last August. I'm getting nerve conduction studies tomorrow and a new neighborhood and mylogragm in two weeks. I have had injections and 2 surgeries.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Mri not neighborhood
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just tell me. I'm tired of hurting and I know it's a surgery gone wrong.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Real quick
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

What has been your more recent assessment by neurologist ?

They are non surgical specialists .... Herniated disk may have damaged nerve roots ( radiculopathy) or spinal cord compression --- possible that surgery to help did not go well but I can't tell you from this perspective what may have been natural disease progression vs surgical complications....surgery is secondary attempt to improve a primary condition such as ruptured disk impinging on spinal cord or nerve roots ...

Your MRI now may improve the story of current status and possibility of improvement....

Nerve conduction results should be helpful...

What surgeries have been done so far if you know? Laminectomy? Spinal fusion ? Other ??

Are you consulting another neurosurgeon ?? Neurologist now ?? Pain management specialist ? I'm trying to get a better idea of your current care and physician input -----

The planned diagnostic procedures with plan for myelogtram + MIR + nerve conduction studies sound on target and appropriate to your case history...m

Off hand if you have had long term weakness of left leg and pain then I doubt that there is great positive news as to restoring strength of leg.. Prognosis to improve pain control may be better .....

Let me know if you have further details or questions. I will be happy to get back with you.

Best regards ***** *****!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Laminectomy and discecomy. Never had leg issues til after surgery.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Discectomy

Hello again,

I see... But the leg weakness has been present for 1 to 2 years now?

If that long I'm afraid it not likely to be reversed but of course I agree that you do everything possible to review your current anatomical status and options for treatment. It sounds that complications from earlier surgery made things worse from your history ... I'm sure that you have been in physical therapy as well...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have done pt the whole time when my body lets it. Every person I know tells me I should sue. I don't really know.

Hello again.

You may get an independent review of Your situation with a neurosurgeon...I'm not sure that just the fact that you had complications would be enough to justify a suit but if the surgeon previously failed to keep a reasonable standard of care then yes you might have a case ....

Simply the fact that you did not do well alone I think would not itself mean that you had a case...

It is not that good results are ever a gurantee in a case such as yours

A review of Your medical records may be helpful to have reviewed on your behalf though

I hope that this makes sense

Let me know if I may be of further help....

Good luck and Best Regards ,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I actually did go to an IME at my works request. Third time.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They keep trying to say I'm medically stationary. But the doctors disagree.

What is your neurologist's opinion ( or neurosrgeon ) going forward??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The nerve tests tomorrow and then the new MRI and mylogragm

Yes that makes sense that you need the updated studys done... These would help to give a better idea of your prognosis and options as for treatment ....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just want to not be in pain and not wake up preying I can walk.

You are welcome to keep this thread open and update me as you get your results back as well....

I hope that you may find improvement going forward as well....

What are you taking now for pain?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Norco and it doesn't help

You may have benefit to ask about a combination which includes a different mechanism for nerve caused pain...

Lyrica or Neurontin or CYMBALTA may help nerve related pain by decreasing the CNS processing of pain...

One of these PLUS a narcotic ( Norco or Duragesic patch ) in combination would likely give a better total result for you....

Often a pain management specialist is consulted in a chronic pain case such as yours and you may be seeing such specialist already....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I take 2400 mg a day of nuerontin a day
Ok..you seem maxed out on that...has a TENS unit been tried??
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor