Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I am 49 years old suffering from Hypo Thyroid and Diabetes.

Customer Question

Hi:
I am 49 years old suffering from Hypo Thyroid and Diabetes. Durng a recent blood test it was observed that my PSA level is elevated to 5.7. On further investigation via ultrasound, doctors found out a large Hyperechoic structure in the prostate gland measuring 2.6 cm. Please recommend the desired course of action to address this issue.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Although your PSA is not that high to suspect cancer but still with the presence of that hyperechoic structure in prostate, cancer must be ruled out. The next course of action should be to see a urologist and he may go for a biopsy under local anesthesia to get to the cause. In my opinion getting a biopsy is better than being on wait and see policy. The size of the lesion is concerning. Further treatment will be decided according to the report of the biopsy. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Hasan:Thanks a lot for your response and concern. What is a Hyperrechoic structure? Also the ESR level was 12. I have difficulty in clearing out my bladder and have to make frequent trips to the bathroom. I have this idea that Biposy is the next step but I am curious as to what next? If is cancrous then what are the treatment options and if it is not cancerous then how this issue will be handled. The reason is financial for me. I do not have insurance coverage and in USA it will be very expensive and long waiting period for the treatment. I think you are from India? If yes, please let me know how much it will cost in India to treat this issue in both situations - a cancer or not cancer? I will really appreciate it.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome. Hyperechoic structure is a radiological term used for some mass lesion. ESR of 12 is considered normal. The symptoms that you have mentioned can be due to any problem with prostate like infection or even cancer. If it's cancerous, the treatment will be surgery to remove the prostate gland. Yes I understand the insurance issues. If it's cancer, in India, it may cost up to 1 to 2 lac INR at the most. If it's not cancer, the cost can be around 50,000 to 1 lac. Hope for the best but don't delay your evaluation and treatment in any case. My best wishes and prayers will be following you. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dr. Hasan. I might have one or two more questions. I am in office at this time and will get back to you in next few hours
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

All the best :)

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

I will be waiting. Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** just finalize few concerns I want to be clarified and will get back to you?Just curious, will it be okay if I delay my treatment till June as I will not get time off from work before June.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your input. You shouldn't delay the biopsy at any cost. You shouldn't delay it till June. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated. Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure Sir, I will get back
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doctor HassanI just got my ultrasound report. The finding are :
Prostate measures 3.6x2.9x3.4 cm
Hyperrechoic Structure measures 2.3x1.0x2.6 cmso mathematically it is more than 75% of the prostate that is either infected or cancerous is that cause of concern
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is quite big lesion and cancer should be ruled out. I am sorry but you must be concerned to stay safe. Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Hasan,Sir, my wife wants to know can this infection be cured through medication
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
If this is an infection then absolutely yes it can be cured. I do suspect infection as well because your PSA is not high enough to Suspect cancer only. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards