Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Noticed a cramp like pain in my rib area around 1 o'clock

Customer Question

Noticed a cramp like pain in my rib area around 1 o'clock this afternoon, it got worse as took deep breaths. It stayed with me until about 10 min left on my 40 min commute to work...then just went away for a few hours, then noticed a couple "twinges" sporadically through my work shift, almost like a side cramp. Then on the way home just now it started up again....I didn't eat much today but was belching quite a bit so I'm not sure if it's gas or what. I do suffer from general anxiety....also do a lot of lifting at my job
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome,

There can be many reasons of such symptoms including acidity, neuromuscular or cardiac. I would suggest you to take antacid and painkiller you already taken. It would be safe to get an EKG if it is central or on left side of chest or radiating to jaw or left arm to rule out any cardiac problem though it is less likely in your age group.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not in my chest it's in the left rib area under my armpit about 2 inches below....doesn't really "flare up" unless I take really deep breaths, and even then sometimes I won't feel it
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for reply,

This is most likely muscular pain. You should continue taking advil, apply ibuprofen gel over the area and warm compresses would help in reducing muscular spasm. If symptoms does not improve in a day or two get an x-ray chest and chest examination by your GP to rule out lung pathology.

Wish you good health

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, the feeling is weird because I don't feel any pain if I stretch or physically lift something it's only sporadic or with deep breaths
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

This is typical of muscular spasm, it aggravates with movements of muscles.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Wish you good health.