How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 46694
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I treat the fluid that has built up under a shin

Customer Question

How do I treat the fluid that has built up under a shin contusion. It has been 10 days; pain and discoloration has subsided. It is the size of an egg and sticks out about 1 inch.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

sorry about your trauma on your shin

ice and elevation and rest are the best way to help calm down this fluid and bruise.

ice can be crushed ice in a zip lock bag wrapped in a towel on the area 20-30 minutes 6-8 times a day

elevation means you reclined all the way back in a lazyboy so the leg is above the heart to allow gravity to pull out fluid out of the leg.

you can rest with ice and elevation of your leg up.

a shin bruise or contusion will not increase your risks for blood clots in your leg.

if the fluid doesn't go down in 1-2 weeks, you should see your doctor and get an ultrasound of your leg

you might need leg massage therapy or compression stockings to help push fluid out

a bruise can take weeks to months for your body to slowly absorb the blood which has pooled under the skin

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

Thanks for using