How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 46937
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 53 years old have trouble swolling food sometimes get

Customer Question

I am 53 years old have trouble swolling food sometimes get caught in throat and chocks me usually end up throwing up to get rid of food
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

This is likely due to the inflammation of the esophagus lining from stomach reflux.

This is possible even without heart burn symptoms.

The inflammation makes passage of food difficult.

Another possibility can be esophageal motility disorder.

Esophagus is a muscular organ and if not contracting properly food will not move down to the stomach normally.

You will need to see a gastroenterologist soon for further evaluation.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor.

in rare cases, you can have an esophageal cancer blocking your esophagus and causing you to throw up all the foods you eat.

this is not normal for you to be choking on food and throwing it up to get rid of it.

this is a sign of blockage most likely in your esophagus.

are you able to drink fluids? or is that blocked as well

you need to go to the ER and see a doctor right away and get a CT scan of your chest to look at your esophagus.

the ER doctors most likely will refer you to see a GI specialist for an upper endoscopy scope down into your esophagus to check for blockage in your esphagus and esophageal cancers which can occur.

do you have a hospital or ER close to you?

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

Thanks for using