How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 18435
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I accidentally left our gas stove burning all day, around 12

Customer Question

I accidentally left our gas stove burning all day, around 12 hours. It was on low. I do not smell gas. I have opened a few Windows as well as our ceiling fan. Am I in danger of carbon monoxide poisoning if I breathed that all day. I left the house for a few hours to see a movie this evening but was home most of the day. I'm worried to go to sleep tonight.
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: No. I think I feel fine. Maybe a slight headache. My cat seems fine.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

No, there is no reason to think that you are in danger of carbon monoxide poisoning in this situation. Gas stoves and ovens are designed to burn for long periods of time, and there are many recipes that essentially call for simmering the dish all day.

The potential concern with gas stoves and ovens would have more to do with whether they are getting old and not maintained well. But in this situation, the risk would also be present from high level use of the stove or oven for shorter periods of time.

The risk of carbon monoxide poisoning also is less in a home than in more confined spaces, such as a car, because there is much more air in the house.

If you and others in the house are feeling fine, it is appropriate to open the windows to allow circulation of air for an hour or so, including windows in the bedroom, if possible. Then you can close the windows again if the weather is cold where you are located. There is no reason to be concerned about going to sleep.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/