Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Pearl, My mother is in the hospital with a WBC of 18,000.

Customer Question

Hi, Pearl,
JA: What is your issue regarding?
Customer: My mother is in the hospital with a WBC of 18,000. She's 78, very obese, diabetic, has severe rheumatoid arthritis, cellulitis and glaucoma. They are doing a blood culture to try to find out what type of antibiotics to use but in the meantime, she's being treated with many IV antibiotics. They don't seem to know what type of infection is going on. Will the blood culture pinpoint the exact cause, too? Thanks.
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: Hypertension, hypothyroid, agoraphobic and under extreme emotionally this week before she became so suddenly ill.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Sorry to hear about your mother's condition.

Yes blood cultures will help to identify the causative bacteria and also will tell which antibiotic is best to treat.

Do you know what antibiotics she is on?

Also did she have any scan to find the source of infection?
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/