Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Can cocaine show in a hair follicle test if you used only

Customer Question
Can cocaine show...
Can cocaine show in a hair follicle test if you used only once three weeks prior,and the test was used with your armpit hair?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
3/11/2016
Doctor: Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered. replied 1 year ago
Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.

Hello from justanswer,

I'm Dr Chaithanya attending you.

It is detected from the hair from 5 to 10 days after last consumption, but can be detected up to 90 days if taken heavily for long term.

It varies from scalp hair to body hair.

Say the armpit hair growth is less, so it can be detected little longer, say 2 weeks to 3 weeks,

Please see the below link for more details,

one of the largest drug testing programs in the world.

www.questdiagnostics.com/employersolutions/.../hair_testing_faq.pdf.

As you had only once, that too single dose, it will negative for you.

Please feel free to ask if any further questions. If done for now, please leave a positive rating

[Request to click on the 5th star] above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today.

We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

You can always reach me with "For Dr. Chaithanya only" in the medical or health categories.

Below link is the fastest way to reach me,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-chaithanya/

A little bonus from your side is welcome and highly appreciated!

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well let me rephrase the question is it possible for you to have a positive urinalysis on January 22nd and then a negative hair follicle test February 11th if you only use one time
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You wrote" as you only once ,that too single does,it will negative for you." I need to understand that before I can enter a rating. Because that sounds like the core of my question but I don't have clarity.

Hello Yes, it is possible to have a positive urinalysis on January 22nd and then a negative hair follicle test February 11th if you only use one time, because it stays little longer in hair than in the body systems.

About second question, I already mentioned that, only if taken in heavy doses and long time it can come positive till 90 days, but as you said single dose before 3 weeks, it may come negative for you.

Please leave a positive rating on the question. Good luck!

Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

It is very unlikely to be positive if you have a negative urine and used one time. you should be fine

I'm glad that Dr Phil agreed with my answer. Request to leave a positive rating. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for the delay but here's my story I feel I'm being set up so I won't make a promotion on my job so my urinalysis somehow came up positive for cocaine on January 22nd the results came back February 10th I don't use drugs and I don't be around drugs so I questioned it and went on my own to do a hair test because I was told it's more in-depth and go back further .which came back negative but was told that if you only use once it wasn't showing their hair so that's why I asked the question so you guys did do okay job and explain it but it don't help my situation I do have a kidney and liver infections which also was told can cause that but that was dispelled also sorry again for taking longI will rate you guys now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was told by my union rep to get some proof that the hair test was a more thorough test so we can fight it. Now knowing the fact that if I only used one time would not show up in a hair test I wouldn't have wasted my money
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't see a link for me to rate you

Okay, all the best to you

In the same thread, top right there is an option to accept the answer and you can see the stars where you can click on 5th star. I really appreciate it.

You can leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner. Wish you good health.

Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya