Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

It's so embarrassing, for the last year I've been home 24/7.

Customer Question
I've been bit by spiders...
It's so embarrassing, for the last year I've been home 24/7. I've been bit by spiders about 10 times since. My doctor gives me anti-biotics and I've had my room cleaned, sprayed several times and I can't physically find the bugs. When I take shower at night I see a few tiny ones and I've seen several spiders.
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
3/11/2016
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

you say you can't physically find the bugs, but then you said you seen several spiders?

I don't understand?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've seen several spiders after taking hot showers on the tub floor. I've had my room exterminated and I put on a beg bug matress protector and I just haven't seen bugs anywhere but only after I shower. It's mostly small bugs but little spiders in there like twice-three tomes a week.

why do you think you have been bitten by bugs?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've had bites get as big as a golf ball. And we've had spider problems in the past, but I spray constantly and I haven't seen one since summer last year.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They get very painful.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't seen any in my bedroom, only on the tub floor.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also have IBS - I was born with it and only this year I've had this kind of problem.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm 52 yrs old

I see.

what medical question can I help you answer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm exhausted. I've gone to my doctor everytime I get bitten and they're getting tired of prescribing anti-biotics. I thought you would have an answer by what I described.

http://www.burkemuseum.org/blog/myth-spiders-bite-sleeping-persons

is a good article to read about spider bites.

do you have a bite on you now? what does it look like when you get a spider bite?

it may not be spider bites you are getting.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have three bites. Did you read about when I take a shower, sometimes they're small spiders almost beige/yellow looking. I'm sure they are spiders, they curl up with the hot water. I've seen them with a magnifying glass. It's been a year and I've been bit 10 times, and I just got 2 more new ones, one on my butt they other at the back of my neck.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It could be something else biting me but NEVER find anything on the mattress and when I take showers they're are small tiny bugs probably bed bugs but spiders do appear.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A few years ago I got bit by a brown recluse 2 times. So since I see spiders in the bath floor after a hot shower, I just assume spiders are biting me.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess that's it?

you don't need a magnifying glass to see spiders.

how old are you?

what medications are you taking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You all are charging me $34 sending me an article to read? I've already read everything and I have common sense on keeping clean. I want a refund!!! I thought I was getting medical advice. I was stupid to think someone could help me rather than sending me an article that I already knew all the facts.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
After I already stated my age and other facts, he questions me as if he didn't read my statements! I am so pissed! $34? I could have gone to a fortune teller for that!!!

ok

Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hello

THis is a different expert

Why have you not had a professional exterminator to the house?

Why have you not collected samples of what you see?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We've had spider problems in the past - brown recluse. On the outside of our apartment, I've seen about 100 baby spiders climbing a wood siding wall. In my van, someone else was driving and I saw a small spider climbing down a thread onto his head. He caught it and threw it out the window. I've been very paranoid. Sometimes when I'm sitting on my recliner I feel something crawling out of my butt. I've read articles on line about people with IBS and I'm thinking it's the cause and maybe, somehow they might be nesting in there. I inspect my pope but I don't see anything. This morning I saw another... I'm getting all freaked out...

OK

There is no such thing as IBS from spiders.

This is not a medical problem.

What you are describing has no medical validity.

Why have you not had a professional exterminator to the house recently, with all of this paranoia about spiders

Why have samples not been collected by you or anyone else?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not worked for 2 years because of a serious accident, I broke my foot and injured my right hand. I'm 6' 250lbs - I was in good condition till the accident. I take 3 showers a day - usually hot. I'm a clean person and keep up cleanliness very well and I'm aware where bed bugs might hide. I'm convinced it's not my mattress or room - I think they're inside me.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've gotten bit recently on the side of my right knee, and twice in the back of my neck. I inspect everything and there's never anything on my clothes or bed.

OK

There is no such thing.

And as you say, you are paranoid about this.

This is a psychiatric problem at this point. You might not believe this, but you are describing impossibilities, and fixed delusion. This is a difficult condition to treat.

I believe you get a bite occasionally, but it is not from spiders at this frequency, rather flea, mosquito, bed bug....etc.

You need to

a. have an exterminator out

b. Talk with your primary care doctor about seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist.

c. If there are really spiders, samples can be collected: however, there will not be, and this will help you get to the bottom of this problem.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You're basically saying I'm nuts. The bites have two small white puss marks. I've had a exterminator here 2 times since last year and I never find anything dead. I've had on my cheek and neck swollen bites the size of golf balls. It's not in my head. OK, since this is not a medical problem - you say, I'd like my money back. When I stumbled on the article bugs in your anus, I assumed someone could help me with answers. A psychiatrist can't help me. I've had serious bites. Full refund please!!!

You will have to contact customer service for a refund; experts have nothing to do with money matters here.

NO, I am not saying you are nuts, but I am saying you are creating impossible explanations for your situation, you have described paranoia, and you have made up explanations which are not real.

That is a problem, and a psychologist or psychiatrist can define that problem.

You also describe spiders that can only be seen with a magnifying glass...not real.

So, the professional can help you sort out what is real.

The swollen bites can be from any bug that gives an allergic reaction.

If it is bugs, an exterminator would find them with testing.

Bed bugs are hard to find in many cases, but a good professional will.

Good luck.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician