Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I was wondering if a circulation issue could cause extremely

Customer Question
Hi, I was wondering if...
Hi, I was wondering if a circulation issue could cause extremely chapped lips? If so would this be an issue that could be treated? Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
3/10/2016
Doctor: khagihara, Doctor replied 1 year ago
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor

Dry air causes them. You should use a humidifier indoors. You should use lip balm which is high in emollients and contains petrolatum and dimethicone as the ingredients. Lip ointments are just as good a choice. To keep your lips protected, reapply frequently. You need about six to eight coats during the day, so apply first thing in the morning, last thing at night, and every couple of hours during the day. Wear a scarf or a ski mask that covers your mouth when you go out in the cold. Avoid licking your lips. Drink plenty of fluids. Avoid contact with irritants or allergens, such as fragrances or dyes, in cosmetics or skin care products. Breathe through your nose. Breathing through your mouth can cause your lips to dry out. Don’t peel or bite flaky skin. Don’t exfoliate.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, thank you for responding. I've tried humidifiers and frequent lip balms for a few months without any luck. I also tried drinking more water, and I have a pretty healthy diet. But nothing seems to be improving my problem

Can you attach the photos here? How old are you? Are you male or female? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? When did it start? Is it consistent? Is it getting worse? Does anything make it worse or better? Pain or itch? Any other symptoms? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any other medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for the help but I'm not comfortable posting photos. Lip balm seems to make it better temporarily and then worse. I have tried almost every home remedy suggested online lip balm, natural oils, anti cortisone, calendula, aloe, topical vitamin a and e. I've always ate healthy mainly an organic with a good mix of fresh veggies, fruit, protein, etc. I don't have any medical problems, infections topical or otherwise, and I havent had any any the past.
don't have any medical problems, nor have I ever had medical problems. I'm not taking any OTCs or herbs

I suspect it may not be due to chapped lips because it is not improved with the remedies. That's why I asked you to attach the photos here. It could be due to allergies, vitamin deficiency, yeast infection, autoimmune diseases, or skin tumors. You should see a dermatologist to have a biopsy if necessary.

khagihara
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor