Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Pooping in small pieces, not my normal type, I am 75 yr old,

Customer Question

Pooping in small pieces, not my normal type
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I am 75 yr old, in good health, this stared 30 days ago, i pooped normal then I would poop soft pellets, once during this time I pooped pencil thick poop
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I feel out of sorts today and my normal poop is wet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

if you are not getting enough fiber in your diet, this can cause you to poop in small pieces

you need to increase your fruits and vegetables in your diet to help bulk up your stool

you can also eat more prunes and also take in metamucil fiber supplements or benafiber supplements to help bulk up your stools.

have you taken metamucil or fiber supplements before?

have you used a stool softener like colace before?