Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Recently quit taking Ginko biloba, and huperzine A, Lecithin…

Customer Question
Recently quit taking Ginko biloba...
Recently quit taking Ginko biloba, and huperzine A, Lecithin and St John's wart, been having depression headaches chronic constipation troubling focusing remembering and confusion, whole body inflammation trouble breathing trouble sleeping. I didn't have Parkinson's before do I have it now or are you these just withdrawl symptoms that will go away? Scared please help? How do i manage these symptoms ? Will they go away?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
3/8/2016
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

There are two key possibilities. It certainly is true that these could be withdrawal symptoms, and if the symptoms started within a day or two of stopping the supplements, it is more likely that these are withdrawal symptoms. In this situation, the symptoms typically go away spontaneously, and usually within a few weeks.

The other possibility is that there is some underlying condition that these supplements has been treating, and by stopping the supplements, the underlying condition is now starting to cause symptoms. You do not say what was the reason that you first started taking all of these supplements, but whatever original reason was present could also be the underlying condition that could now be causing these symptoms. In the situation in which there is an underlying condition, the symptoms would typically not resolve spontaneously in a short period of time, and there may need to be further treatment of the underlying condition. If you stopped the supplements because you simply wanted to stop them, treatment of the underlying condition could be done by resuming the supplements. However, if you stopped the supplements because of side effects, then it would also be an option to discuss prescription medicines with your doctor.

So, it is reasonable to first see if the symptoms resolve spontaneously over the next few weeks. During that time, it would be fine to use over the counter medicines to help ease the symptoms, such as using anti-inflammatory pain medicines for the headaches and inflammation, diphenhydramine for sleep, and laxatives for the constipation. And it sounds like you are already doing the last two interventions, as the diphenhydramine is the usual drug in over the counter sleep medicines.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

I was hoping to go a more natural route can you helpbme find naturak thingw that will help my symptoms and if the inflammation has caused stomach ulcers what will soothe that and take the inflammation out of my body? And thank so you I very much this is a relief hope that these symptoms will go away.

The supplements that you were taking are the most commonly used natural products that can help with these symptoms, if there were no side effects to the supplements that caused you to stop the supplements. There are a couple of other supplements that also may help, such as 5-HTP and SAM-e, although these are not used as often as the supplements that you have already been taking.

However, if the symptoms go away over the next few weeks, then there is no need to take any of these supplements.

OK I'm gonna wait a couple of weeks thank you so much I feel relieved. Thank you :-)

You are most welcome.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/

Will do. Do you know if these supplements I was taking cause cancer or not?

There is no evidence that any of these supplements cause cancer.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor