Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

In trying to better understand the characters in the TV

Customer Question
series "Bates Motel" (backstory to...
In trying to better understand the characters in the TV series "Bates Motel" (backstory to Hitchcock's movie "Psycho"), what might be the medical and mental health outcomes of an incestuous rape between brother and sister (in this case, Characters Caleb and Norma Bates) that produced a child (ostensibly Dylan Bates but potentially Norman Bates)...? Would not offspring of an incestuous brother-sister relationship have very serious physical health problems (e.g. deformities)? Or could the offspring be healthy physically but mentally very damaged? (Double-checking the medical accuracy of the "Bates Motel" current TV series writers formulating the backstory to historic movie "Psyco".)
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
3/7/2016
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

There is a higher chance that children that are a product of incest have medical problems but many are born totally healthy actually

There appears to be a problem going on currently with the JustAnswers.com programming because I am not able to view more than the top first line of Dr. Phil's response. The JustAnswers.com programming is truncating what I sense is Dr. Phil's complete response (which I hope is more than 1 line) and superimposing a solicitation for more money...i.e. to opt into JustAnswers.com's "Premium Service Offer: More Q&A Time" for an additional $28. This is not so complicated of a question that I want to spend an additional $28 on top of what I am already spending for this service as a monthly subscriber, asking typically only one or two questions per month. HELLO PROGRAMMERS? Your programming is not working and is actually interferring with subscribers' ability to view experts' responses as you have programmed the website to solicit more money as much and as often as you possibly can. No reflection on Dr. Phil at this time unless his response was truly just one line and he is game pointing to skim the cream and capture as many quick hit payoffs to his account as possible. I will reserve judgement until this system programming is cleaned up to the point that I can read the entirety of what Dr. Phil wrote in his submitted answer to my question. Is anyone from JustAnswers.com Quality Control Department paying attention? Please FIX your programming so subscribers can actually VIEW what the experts are writing in their responses versus superimposing yet another solicitation for more money. Not pleased with this service as it is performing presently.

I'm here.

You don't have to pay any more

I was simply saying that many relationships like this produce normal children

There is simply a higher risk of recessive traits being exposed.

Is this what you wanted to know?

you only wrote ONE LINE and were hoping for full payment, yes? As a veteran expert having submit literally thousands of responses, I would hope you could appreciate that subscribers and even new customers with one-time questions are paying a PRETTY PENNY for an "expert" response beyond what any lackey could find via a Google Search. We pay for EXPERTISE, not just any off the cuff response. I was looking for a qualified physicians explanation of the range of complications that could occur -- mentally and physically -- from incestuous intercourse between siblings that resulted in a child. Your response suggests there is nothing wrong -- medically -- from siblings having intercourse. Your response suggests that the only complication would be a moral one, but nothing that might produce a physical or mental handicap from sister and brother producing offspring. Is that genuinely your response?
Forget it, Dr. Phil. You are expending MINIMAL effort to collect a fee. Please refer this question back to the pool of doctors who can ELUCIDATE beyond a one line response.
Doctor: Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

There are many different possible outcomes of an abnormal relationship like this. They could be perfectly normal or have all sorts of problems....even end up being a sicko killer.

There is no way to predict the outcome.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

you are aware, my interest in knowing the range of medical complications that the offspring of a brother-sister incest encounter might suffer is because I work in the field of not just financing television productions but also as an occasional writer myself. I am checking on the accuracy of the writers' characterizations of Dylan Bates and Norman Bates in the TV series "Bates Motel." Dylan was supposedly the outcome of his father Caleb's rape of his mother (Caleb's sister), Norma Bates. Yet Dylan has not exhibited any mental or physical abnormalities beyond a penchant for risk taking (e.g. drug dealing, gun carrying, etc.) Dylan's half-brother -- Norman Bates -- by contrast is the "psycho killer", going on murderous rampages during periods of extended blackout. Yet Norman was the product of a non-incestuous relationship, albeit his mother has multiple personality disorders and seems to come from a family where mental illness was commonplace. Might Norman versus Dylan be the true offspring of the incestuous rape of Norma Bates by her brother Caleb? That is, are blackouts, mental illness, and violent personalities commonly or even occasionally seen in the offspring of incestuous brother-sister (versus father-daughter or mother-son) relationships? If so, then Norman Bates versus half-brother Dylan may be the true son of brother-sister Caleb and Norma Bates and might partially explain Norman's black-outs, episodic delusions that he is his mother, and extreme violence when triggered. What are the range of abnormal behaviors seen in the offspring of incestuous brother-sister relationships? And do physical deformities appear in these situations, if even only occasionally?

The best way to get the data you seek would be to consult with a Professor of human relations at a major University Hospital.

As you might image, there is no black and white answer to your question.

I wish you the very best in your quest.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

you cannot answer my question and suggest I go OUTSIDE of JustAnswers.com for an answer? Please return this question to the pool of experts as I believe my question is not that difficult to answer and that somewhere inside this service, there is an expert who can provide even a short list of a few of the mental and possibly physical complications that commonly or even occasionally occur in the offspring of an incestuous brother-sister union.

Will do.

Have a good evening.