Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My mother has been on glipizide 10 mg twice a day, but her…

Customer Question
My mother has been on...
My mother has been on glipizide 10 mg twice a day, but her a1c and blood sugar levels have still been elevated. Usually her a1c has not gone above 7.5 but her last test was 9.0. What is a safe and effective alternative or addition to the glipizide?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
3/7/2016
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Metformin should be added to improve insulin sensitivity.

Works well with glipizide.

Also carbs should be lowered in the diet with regular exercise.

Another option will be GLP1 inhibitors like sitagliptin or saxagliptin orally.

They also help in lower blood sugar by preventing glucose production in the liver and also increasing pancreatic insulin action.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Is metformin considered safe? Would she need both, metformin and glipizide? Doctor wanted to add Januvia. However, with the risk of pancreatitis, thyroid and pancreatic cancer, I did not want this drug added?

Yes metformin is safe to use with glipizide.

Much favored.

Best wishes

Does metformin have any known risks, and can it be used alone, or does it have to be used in conjunction with the glipizide in order to see improvement? Lastly, for someone with a1c of 9, would you consider any specific dosage in order for blood sugar to be at a good level but not too low?

Metformin is considered safe-- can cause stomach upset initially.

It needs to be used with glipizide to bring down blood sugar in normal range.

Metformin started at 500 mg daily, then increased to twice daily, maximum dose 1000 mg twice daily.

Best wishes

Thank you.

Very welcome