Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Feet feel heavy and numb, For the past week i been having…

Customer Question
Feet feel heavy and...

Feet feel heavy and numb

Doctor's Assistant: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.

For the past week i been having the numbness and in my right foot and now in my left but now as bad as the right one snd lately my right leg feels numb like its asleep and sometimes i feel a slight pain on my right hip

Doctor's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?

I sleep on a air mattress is since for the past two months

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
3/6/2016
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Numbness sensation comes from nerve problem.

Hence you likely have degenerative disc disease at the lower spine.

This means the nerve is getting pinched at the lower spine causing these symptoms.
Herniated disc, spine arthritis are such causes.
Please consider physical therapy as that will help to strengthen the back muscles and also traction to release pressure on the nerves.
Prescription medication like Gabapentin and tramadol can be tried for symptom control.
Epidural steroid injection is another good option.

Other possibilities affecting the nerves can be diabetes, thyroid disorder, vitamin B12 deficiency, autoimmune disorder.

Please consult with a neurologist.
Please go to this link for lower back exercises:
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00302&webid=26DBE25F

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist