How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 29182
Experience:  MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 77 years old. Active walk or hike(Nordic walk) about 3

Customer Question

I am 77 years old. Active walk or hike(Nordic walk) about 3 miles a day. Health I would say is very good. Still workin 6-8 hours a day as a CPA in my own busoness. Lately I have notices a distinct lack of focus later in the day after about one or two. Is there some medication I should request for this problem. Going for physical on Monday. Previous physician prescribed Buproprion which seems to have no effect.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Lack of focus can be due to the underlying hormonal problem like thyroid gland disorder --low thyroid hormone state.

Testosterone deficiency is another common problem at your age.

Vitamin B12 deficiency, iron deficiency also should be ruled out.

If your heart is ok, and no other problem found, then different medication like Concerta ( mrthylphenidate)can be tried at low dosage to improve your concentration.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you all medical tests were ok six mos ago except for something about normal hemoglobin but too many red cells I forgot the technical term for it
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.


Yes that should be rechecked.

Relative polycythemia can be normal.

However if your red blood cell count is going up that will require further work up by a hematologist.

Best wishes