Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Issue is regarding blood work I just recieved received, My…

Customer Question
Issue is regarding blood...

Issue is regarding blood work I just recieved received

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

My Ast levels were 46 and Alt were 27 and I am a hypochondriac so I have convinced myself I have liver damage

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
3/2/2016
Doctor: khagihara, Doctor replied 2 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor

How old are you? Are you male or female? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? Any symptoms? When did yo have the blood work? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?

29 y/o female. 5'6''. 135lbs. No weight changes or symptoms. Blood work was done in December 2015. No medical problems other than difficulty staying asleep at night, but that has been going on for years. No over the counter pills or herbs and not any significant family medical problems that relate to liver.

Before December, did you have blood work? How was it?

I do not have access to any blood work taken before then, but nothing was ever flagged by my primary care doctor who I am no longer seeing. I do drink regularly but not problematically, about 2 glasses of wine with dinner. I also run five miles a day and eat an extremely healthy diet. Do not use drugs and no not smoke.

The AST is a bit high. The ALT is within the normal limit. If it is related to alcohol drinking, GGT in the blood should be increased. The slight high ALT is not so concerning. You should have a blood work again one month after you reduce to 1 glass of wine because 1 glass of wine is appropriate for women.

Thank you for your response. My GGT was in range. The test were also performed over the Christmas holiday. I had been on vacation for 2 weeks and drinking more than usual so perhaps this was a factor in the higher levels.

It could be the reason. You should have a blood work again. They would be normal.

khagihara
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor