Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Silicone Plug was lost, but wasn't detected on x-*****

Customer Question
Silicone Butt Plug was...

Silicone Butt Plug was lost, but wasn't detected on x-***** *****. Is there a possibility that the x-***** ***** wouldn't see it?

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Such as?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
3/2/2016
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hello

Yes an x ray could miss it.

MRI is the most reliable imaging for silicone.

However, the best course would be a flex sig [scope] to find it and get it out.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily

In your opinion, is this a likely scenario or unlikely. The x-rays were taken at a hospital and in their opinion, there wasn't anything there. They were "certain" that it would show up if it was there. Also, what if we followed their advice (of nothing being present) but it actually was there. What would eventually happen? How long could it stay in there before causing a medical issue or being passed?

It might pass, or it might cause an obstruction.

I would say that if you are certain it was lost inside, then they have made a mistake.

It might take a day, a week, or a month to cause problems.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Additional info...she had 2 x-rays taken from the standing position and 1 laying down. Also, all air-flow was seemed normal and the "gastric valve" showed no signs of an issue (not sure that's the correct medical terminology). I'm not sure what any of this means, but they quoted it as further evidence that nothing is present. Would you agree?
Lastly, she has had bowel movements since the incident occured which I hope is another indicator of nothing being present. Would it be possible for everything to be functioning correctly if the object was still there?

There is evidence nothing is present, but it is not certain.

It would be possible to have bowel movements, but it makes the likelihood of the problem less.