DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

After whiplash I suffered a dislocated jaw and damage to the

Customer Question

after whiplash I suffered a dislocated jaw and damage to the trigeminal nerve now my blood pressure is very high
JA: Your nerves are the communications system for your body so you are doing the right thing consulting our Expert about anything to do with them. Losing comms is not good. Please give me a bit more information, so the Neurologist can help you best.
Customer: from the whiplash I suffered paralysis is several muscle groups in the left side of my face. now several yuears later after a malocclusion in my bite I suffered a dislocation of the jaw on the left side and am in severe pain from TMJ and my blood pressure is very high as well as an elevation of normal heartrate from 54 to 60 and my BP was always perfect and now is 160 over 110
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Neurologist should know?
Customer: also persistant vertigo ear and vision problems
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Neurologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

What is your question exactly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My blood pressure only went up after the dislocation of my jaw and damage to the trigeminal nerve...it was suggested that I consider blood pressure meds which I don't want to do. Am I wrong to treat the cause rather than the symptom? Does blood pressure rise from damage to the nerve rather than the other way around since I've never had this before the injury? My normal HR is less than 54, very low respiration rate and normal bp 118/68
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

There is no evidence , medically speaking, that this is from your injury.

The blood pressure is too high, and unless you have a way to bring it down that is working, you do need medication.

Physical therapy stress reduction, biofeedback, correct diet, exercise, all might help, but this needs to be monitored by your doctor.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily