Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a pain in my left side lower rib area when I sneeze

Customer Question
or cough. Just got over...
I have a pain in my left side lower rib area when I sneeze or cough. Just got over a pretty bad chest cold with a lot of coughing/sneezing and I sneeze rather violently..
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sharp pain in my lower left rib area when coughing or sneezing.. pretty sharp pain, started around saturday, was feeling better but after a hard 5 sneeze sneezing fit last night it hurts worse if I cough today and a dull constant pain in that area
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
3/2/2016
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

This is likely muscle pull related pain.

Coughing can cause this commonly.

However, bacterial pneumonia another possibility.

Chest Xrays are recommended to rule that out.

Ibuprofen and warm compress should help in 2 weeks.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist