Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have outbreaks of shingles or genital herpes, don't know

Customer Question
which, from time to time...
I have outbreaks of shingles or genital herpes, don't know which, from time to time. I having hernia surgery next week and wanted to know if there is any danger of having the surgery if I have a outbreak at the same time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
3/1/2016
Doctor: Dr Norbert Scheufele,
 replied 1 year ago
Dr Norbert Scheufele

in this case I can reassure you, a surgery like this will be done under highly sterile conditions, so that even an acute infection like this will have no bad consequences.

Hope that everything will turn out fine, kind regards,

Dr. N. Scheufele

Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hello

I have a different answer for you.

Is the outbreak over your inguinal region?

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Hernia surgery is elective.

If you have blisters where they want to do an incision, it is better to delay. Without doubt. In fact, even if it is anywhere in the area, it is better to delay.

You need to notify the surgeon if this is the case. Talk with him/her today.

Additional information: I have checked with surgeons a number of times on this situation: surgery should be delayed until active outbreak is over, generally speaking.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Doctor: Dr Norbert Scheufele,
 replied 1 year ago

I don´t share this opinion, as the name suggests, genital herpes is not located in the inguinal region where the surgery takes place. So I still don´t see a problem in this case, your surgeon will surely confirm this.

Please excuse the intervention of the colleague, if you have any further queries, please don´t hesitate to ask me.

Doctor: Dr Norbert Scheufele,
 replied 1 year ago

if there are still open questions, I will be glad to answer them.Otherwise please don´t forget to honour my work with a kindly rating.

Thanks a lot, all the best for you,

Dr. N. Scheufele

Dr Norbert Scheufele
Dr Norbert Scheufele
Dr Norbert Scheufele