Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son has been suffering from headaches on and off for the…

Customer Question
My son has been suffering...
My son has been suffering from headaches on and off for the past 3-4 months. Advil and Tylenol don't help. He was headache free for a month and came down with fevers and a cold 2 weeks ago and the headaches came back alongside his fever but persisted for 8 days after fever. He finally had relief after playing soccer yesterday but went on a trampoline today and had shooting pains in the front part of his forehead.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
2/28/2016
Doctor: khagihara, Doctor replied 2 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor

How tall is he? How much does he weigh? On a scale of 0-10, what is it with 0 being no pain? What is it like? How often a month? How long does it last? Does anything make it better or worse? Any symptoms just before the headaches start? Any other symptoms? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any other medications? Any family medical history?

He's 4 feet 3 inches 56 pounds. He says its about a 6. He had it for 2 weeks and was headache free for the few weeks before he got sick. No symptoms, but will wake in the morning at times and cry. We moved from US to Ireland in August. My husband had really bad tension headaches two months ago but never before. No known medical issues , meds or family hx
Took him to neurologist two weeks ago and he thought it was stress related because they had gone away for 3-4 weeks. But he was sick with fevers and he does babe tenderness on his cheeks (so possibly sinus). Little congestion as well.

What tests did he have with the neurologist?

No tests. His headaches were gone when we went and were just back that morning with a fever
He didn't seem concerned to do mri or whatever type of scan they do because the headaches come and go.

Exactly where were the headaches? Band-like pain? Pulsating pain?

Across Forehead. Not sure about pulsating

He seems to have tension headaches. He should try low dose amitriptyline since he has frequent episodic or chronic tension headaches and simple analgesics such as Advil and Tylenol are ineffective.