How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kaushik Your Own Question
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 4635
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Kaushik is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had some pain and swelling above my right knee

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes, I have had some pain and swelling above my right knee intermittently for the last couple of months. The muscle also feels quite hard on the outside of my knee and where the lower thigh begins. The swelling comes on gradually but makes it painful to bend/use stairs. It goes down after a few days and comes back after a few weeks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.


Welcome to the site.

Kindly answer a few queries.

1) What is your age and gender ?

2) Is the pain associated with swelling localized to one particular region of right knee ?

3) Have you had any sort of injury in that area in the recent past ?

4) Has there been fever on and off ?

5) What is your profession and does it involve a lot of standing ?

6) Do you indulge in lots of sporting activities and did you sustain a fall resulting in extensive extension of the rt leg and knee ?

7) Have been physically examined by the doctor ?

8) Have you done any investigations as well ?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) Hi, I'm female, 26 years old2) Yes, if my leg is extended it is above and to the right of the knee cap so the outer part of my leg. It feels harder than my left leg and is also swollen. I can feel the swelling throughout the joint when I bend the knee.3) No no injury, my knee does 'click' and I have to twist the joint to make it feel right.4) No fever5) Yes my job is standing/walking6) No I don't play any sports7) No I have not seen a doctor8) Yes, I've looked on line and can't find anything that fits the symptoms I have
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried taking any over the counter simple analgesics to relieve the pain and swelling ? If yes then for how long.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't, it tends to last 2-3 days then resolves itself or at least the swelling goes
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Well, the fact that the pain and swelling are recurring and may be their frequency or/ and severity have increased since the time of their onset so it becomes invariably important to explore the knee joint and the tissue around it because there are various possibilities which could be causing these symptoms such as 1) stress fracture owing to the nature of your profession which requires continuous walking and standing thereby affecting your knees where the body weight is relayed on, 2) ligament tear, 3) Arthritis ( Rheumatoid or Gout ), 4) Neuro-Muscular spasm etc.

So to gain more insight into the possible cause which is leading to this problem, you need to get yourself physically examined by your doctor and get the below tests discussed and done such as

-- X- ray rt. knee

-- RA factor for excluding rheumatoid arthritis

-- Serum uric acid to exclude gout.

While you get these done you may start applying a warm water bottle over the affected area of the knee for at least 20 minutes twice or thrice a day. Do this for 5 days at least

Other than this you may also apply a topical analgesic ointment ( i.e diclofenac sodium ) over the affected area two times a day and continue this for 5-7 days

Lastly ask your doctor to give you some simple painkillers which you shall take for 5 days.

The above mentioned strategy may relieve you of your symptoms but the physical examination and investigations advised shall throw more light on the plausible cause behind this symptom and put to rest all the confusion surrounding this issue.

I hope this makes sense.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.