Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a direct inguinal hernia.. The cord structures were…

Customer Question
I had a direct inguinal...
I had a direct inguinal hernia.. The cord structures were surrounding the Penrose drain and moved out of the way. the direct insulin all hernia was repaired with an extra-large plug and patch system. These were then sutured in with 0 Vicryl sutures in interrupted fashion x8. The overlay patch was also sutured in place. The cord structures were not involved in any way. The external oblique aponeurosis was then approximated over this with a a 3-0 Vicryl. Deep tissues were closed with with 0 vicryl. Skin was closed with 4-0 Vicryl. This was done on 3/18/2014. The pain was almost un-bearable for weeks afterwords, for months I went back to Dr and complained about pain in groin, lower back, hip and right leg. Sometimes it was near crippling. I went to new surgeon and had another surgery on 2/19/16. I was told that 1-10 out of 100 failed. After surgery the Dr. Told my wife that a doubled layered mesh was used but was completely detached and had little sign of adhereing. For over two years the pain was constant in groin, back and hip with a noticeable problem in walking upright. Should I be concerned with ilionguinal Neuralgia pain? Could the mesh been defective? Will I get better or is this something I'm going to have to learn to live with.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
2/28/2016
Doctor: Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician

Thank you for your question.

Have you been seen by a pain medicine specialist for this?

Mesh could be defective, what is your surgeon's take on it?

Do you have any other medical problems?

Are you on any medications for anything at the moment?

Please let me know.

Regards

No I haven't been to a pain management specialis, I try to avoid opiates as much as possible it seems they have limited effectiveness on the pain. They help at night but with my job I wouldn't take them during work hrs. I am a federal investigator with the EPA and travel a lot.
I have an appointment with surgeon on Monday and I am trying to be prepared as best as I can. I know the FDA has recalled certain surgical mesh used in this type of treatments, I am trying to get surgeon notes and records from 2014 such as type and manufactor of surgical mesh they implanted.
The more I think back on this I can narrow down the root cause of this. I had a fall from a piece of machinery around 2006 or so, It was from about 15 ft onto solid ice. My right side from above knee to middle of my back was a solid bruise with hip injuries, the ER did x-rays and said no fractures just bruised to the bone. I have had constant problems ever since with lower back, hip and leg pain.
My current med list is long. They been treating the symptoms and not the cause I'm guessing, I'm on depression pills like prozac,wellbutron,clonospam, sleep aids such as ambient, allergy pills, the most recent ones are oxycodone 10-325 mg 2 tablets every 6 hrs. They almost take edge off, I supplement ibuprofen every 4-6 hrs with 400 mg, I got some nausea pills I haven't taken yet. That's the list but I only take the pain meds with ibu's and the clonazepam for panic attacks I'm throwing the rest away.
I guess I will wit and see on monday, if I continue to have these problems my career is down the drain. Probably my marriage too, been a little stressful managing these symtoms.

I am sorry to know that you are suffering so much.

The reason why I wanted you to see a pain medicine doctor is because I would like to explore the possibility of a nerve block which could help tremendously in your case.

A nerve block will also reduce your medications that you need to take for your pain.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Rate me when you are done..

Regards

This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.
Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.
Kindest regards