Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My courisn platelet count is count high, 1313, he is just 14

Customer Question
hi JA: Hi. What is your...
hi
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: my courisn platelet count is count high
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: 1313
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: he is just 14 years
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
2/27/2016
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

Do you mean that the platelet count was 1313?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
still 1313- they have done 3 blood test-
have done city scan for brain- all is clear
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
please check attach file
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i want to know - anything serious about it....
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i m waiting for a reply.. i have been charged on my credit card .. will i get a reply or no

I am typing an answer, but it will take time to type a complete answer,.

This is a significant increase in platelet count. Mild increases are usually not an issue and usually do not warrant further evaluation, but this is a significant evaluation.

There are several possible causes of an elevated platelet count.

In a 14 year old, the most common cause would be overproduction of platelets by the bone marrow. This overproduction can affect only the platelets, but can also affect other cells produced by the bone marrow. The blood tests do not show any increase in any of the other cellular components, which would suggest that it is only affecting the platelets. It is also possible that the overproduction of platelets can be due to a familial genetic trait.

There also are some causes of a reactive elevation of the platelet counts, such as a response to inflammation or infection or from decreased functioning of the spleen.

There should be an evaluation to look for any conditions that can cause a reactive elevation, and if this is not seen, then an evaluation for overproduction by the bone marrow should be done. A biopsy of the bone marrow is typically done, as well as genetic tests for common mutations that can cause the genetic trait.

If it is confirmed that this is from overproduction, it is a condition in which serious complications can occur. The high platelet count, itself, is not the primary concern, but these patients have an increased risk for forming blood clots and for bleeding. There also is an increased risk of this condition progressing into a type of leukemia, although this only occurs in a small percentage of patients.

If it is found to be a reactive elevation, it will usually resolve with identification and treatment of the underlying cause, so is less of a concern.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they have done. city scan for brain it is clear- no blood clots are found. his grand mother had cancer. what do u see as of now. something normal or abnormal. he haa headache for last 10 days. doctor has given him aspirin tablet and headache is gone. how do rate this case. should we go for immediate treatment or we can wait for some more time for few more test , can u tell me which doctor to consult excatly for this, can u tell me which all blood test to be done to find out excat reason for thisthank you

It is more important that he be seen for further evaluation and then treatment can be discussed. The evaluation does not need to be done emergently, but it would be appropriate to be seen as soon as can be arranged. The usual next step would be to evaluate the platelet count would be consultation with a Hematologist. However, if his current doctor suspects an underlying condition that is causing a reactive elevation, it would be appropriate to pursue that evaluation before seeing the Hematologist.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But sir patient is completely normal and he is not facing any issues on daily routine life just that he had headache for last 10 days and after taking aspirin tablets per day 1 - that also is gone -what are chances of blood abnormalities

I am not sure what you mean by the question about the chances of blood abnormalities. The elevated platelet count is a blood abnormality, so it is already known that he has a blood abnormality.

Even in someone with no symptoms, it is appropriate to pursue an evaluation for a platelet count of this level.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
By blood abnormalities I mean to say something related to cancer

The chances of cancer at this point is very low, as there is no evidence on the blood tests. As I noted above, if this is found to be from direct overproduction by the bone marrow, there is an increased risk of the condition progressing into a type of leukemia, although this only occurs in a small percentage of patients. But even this risk is more of a concern that may develop over time. It is very unlikely he currently has any kind of cancer.

Please let me koow if I can provide any additional information.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor