Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've had trouble with negative thinking... I've had trouble…

Customer Question
I've had trouble with negative...
I've had trouble with negative thinking...
I've had trouble with negative thinking my whole life. It has taken a toll on me. I don't understand why I am this way. I've been in therapy for the past 6 months, with a psychoanalytic approach. Is this the right therapy for someone like me? I've had some deep seated issues with judging myselfreally harshly, perfectionism, anxiety in social situations, projection. All of this I've learned more about with my therapist from a psychoanalytic approach. I've been considering CBT and DBT, and MBCT because I'm becoming worried that my current therapy only helps me to become aware of my tendencies but does not really give me strategies to change. I also studied psychology in college so I find that I self diagnose a lot :( What is the right therapy for me? How can I cope with finding a new therapist when my current one knows and understands me so well? I'm torn
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
2/26/2016
Doctor: khagihara, Doctor replied 2 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor

Cognitive behavioral therapy is one of the most effective forms of psychotherapy for generalized anxiety disorder. You should try it. If you don't take any medications, you should try antidepressant such as escitalopram (Lexapro), duloxetine (Cymbalta), venlafaxine (Effexor XR) and paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva). You may benefit most from a combination of the psychotherpay and medications. If you have perfectionism from obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, the medication and CBT also work for you.

khagihara
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor