Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had a very sore throat for a week and a half with…

Customer Question
I have had a very...
I have had a very sore throat for a week and a half with trouble swallowing do I have strep
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
2/25/2016
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

Are you having any other symptoms, such as congestion, cough, fever, or swollen lymph nodes?

If having a fever, how high is the fever?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.

The vast majority of people with only a sore throat for a week and a half do not have Strep. Istead, it is more often a viral infection of the throat or a non-infectious cause of a sore throat. However, if there are other associated symptoms, then there would be more of a concern that Strep could be present. If the throat infection is more severe, such as with more swelling or exudate, there would be more of a concern for Strep, but these people typically do not wait for a week and a half to be seen. In additional, if there is a significant fever or swollen lymph nodes, there would be more of a concern for Strep. Conversely, if there is congestion or cough, it would be less likely to be related to Strep.

Ultimately, the only way to be certain of whether Strep is present would be to test for Strep, either a rapid test or a culture. In general, it is the people with a more severe throat infection or associated symptom that particularly need to be checked for Strep. But otherwise, it is fine to manage this as a viral infection.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.