Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Doctor my father received his lab work today his fasting…

Customer Question
Doctor my father received his...
Doctor my father received his lab work today his fasting glucose level is 117 is that of concern?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
2/25/2016
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello !

No not really ....

The fasting glucose USED TO BE CONSIDERED NORMAL RANGE WHEN 60 TO 120....

then later it was narrowed to 65 to 109...

Some labs now consider 70 to 99 mg/ dL for fasting glucose as normal

BUT I assert that this is really too narrow and not realistic ...not realistic for real world ....

He could be checked for hemoglobin AIC as follow up as that test reflects 3 month average of blood sugar .....

For diabetic under 7.0 is considered reasonable control which would correspond to average blood sugar of 150 mg/ dL.....

So look at this 117 value in this context ....

It is well below 150 value !!

It is reasonable to take a closer look in his case to check another fasting or check hemoglobin A1C to make sure that he is not prediabteic but to worry about one value of 117 is to over-react I would assure you ....

You or I may have NORMAL blood sugar metabolism but this could still allow for you or I or your father to have a value of 117 .....

It is just one value of a test that changes up and down for everyone by the hour!!!

So take this variation into account ....

It is not reason to panic at all....

It is not diabetic range ...

It could be a nudge in the range of prediabetes and there is plenty of time to follow up on that question

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD