Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I recently underwent vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG) by a…

Customer Question
Hi, I recently underwent vertical sleeve...
I recently underwent vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG) by a doctor in Mexico.
Everything went smoothly and 1-week post-op, I feel great. But, the doctor did not prescribe me anything to prevent gallstones. I really don't want to have my gall bladder removed and introduce 4 new incisions.
I found Ursodiol on a Vet meds website which sells it OTC versus prescription (I don't have insurance). Would it be fine for me to take 1-2 of these per day for 4-6 months to help prevent gallstones even though they are technically made for pets?
http://www.vetrxdirect.com/product/view/ursodiol-ursodeoxycholic-acid-capsules-for-pets/variation-450
Here is the double-blind trial showing the highly effectiveness of ursodeoxycholic acid in prevent gallstones after weight loss surgery:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1356148/
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
2/24/2016
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Obviously I can't recommend this without seeing your doctor but I do believe it would be safe and effective

Thanks for this question.

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it :)

If you have more question, just reply.