Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had joint pain for the past 2 years. It started with…

Customer Question
I have had joint pain...
I have had joint pain for the past 2 years. It started with my hips and is now in my upper back, elbows, and knees. It wakes me up at night, is better during the day when I am walking around. Sitting or any exercise that puts strain on the joints make the pain return.
I have frequent headaches and fatigue. When I rest for short periods during the day it makes the headaches and fatigue better.
I have had extensive blood work. The ana and rheumatoid tests were all negative. I do have low immunoglobulins. my IGA (51), IGG (575 low in the first and second), My IGM is in the bottom 5% of normal. I have done the pneumococcal vaccine test and my titers were normal. My question is could my immune system be responsible for my symptoms even if my titers were normal.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
2/23/2016
Doctor: khagihara, Doctor replied 2 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor

I don't think it is related to your symptoms. Did you have imaging studies such as x-ray, MRI? How old are you? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Are you female or male? Any other symptoms? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Has your stress been increased at home or work since the past 2 years? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?

I am 53. I 5' 2" weigh 155 and am female. No xrays or mrI. I have high blood pressure. My stress level is not high. My cholesterol was high 282 but my good cholesterol was 76. My tsh was 5.75 but i changed dr and he took me off that med and rechecked in 2 weeks and tsh was 3. I frequently have diarrhea. I have had both a colonoscopy and endoscopy both showed minor things you might expect in someone my age. I have off and on burning when I urinate but have been tested for uti neg. I have developed raynaud's but that may be from the meds. I have TMJ. The other weird thing (like all of that was not enough) I frequently become flushed and my veins swell.It is most noticeable in my hands when it happens you can see the arteries and veins. It is very pronounced in the mornings when I get up. I am driving my poor dr crazy
Here are the meds I am takingspironolactone b/p
Lisinopril b/p
metoprolol b/p
omeprazole stomach
meloxicam pain
tazodone hydrochloride sleep
My father had psoriatic arthritis and gout. My mother had allergies but no autoimmune disease I am aware of.
Oh I I walk on average 5 to 6 miles a day in the winter more in the summer as we have a farm before my joints started bothering me i mountain biked and did long distance biking. I also enjoy hiking.

Any swelling, redness, warmth, and/or tenderness in the joints? Do you have morning stiffness in the joints? If so, how long does it last? longer than 1 hour?

No redness or swelling. I have some tenderness in my shoulders and where my knee connects to my leg bone. I get pain there that radiates to my ankle at night when I am sleeping. the only way to make it stop is to get up and walk. I get the same thing milder from my shoulders to my wrist. Yes morning stiffness that goes away within an hour. During the day the joint pain is very mild (accept for my upper back) as long as I am moving and not doing anything that puts pressure on the joints like walking up stairs.
oh my joints do feel warm and ache frequently but no visible swelling or redness

You could have osteoarthritis. You should have x-rays for the joints taken.

Ok but I don't think osteoarthritis would effect that many joints nor cause the headaches and fatigue. I don't think it effects both sides. Nor do I have any swelling or bones deformations. Thank you for your time.

I see. You might have chronic fatigue syndrome

khagihara
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor