Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I get extreme migraines from time to time and someone told…

Customer Question
I get extreme migraines...

I get extreme migraines from time to time and someone told me I can have a natural by using marijuana I am interested in acquiring a license to purchase for this purpose. Can you help?

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I do not have high blood pressure or heart condition just when under stressful situations I get pounding migraines.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
2/23/2016
Doctor: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read this preliminary answer and respond. Dr Frank

I am not exactly sure what you mean by acquiring a license. I am a Neurologist in New York State, we are going through the process of being able to prescribe marijuana from 5 distributor/growing sites that are being set up around the state. As a physician with a DEA license and a special license for prescribing Suboxone, I have to attend a certification class and pass a test before I will be issued the license to write for marijuana as it will be processed as an oil (I believe). So at least in NYS, you need a medical license to prescribe. Please get back to me to discuss this further, maybe I am missing something. Dr Frank

If you wish to discuss treatment for migraine with more conventional migraine medications, please just get back to me with a list of what you have tried, how often are your headaches, do you feel them coming on, do you get visual symptoms, or what? etc. Dr Frank