Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have pain in my chest also my shoulder hurt at night i

Customer Question
hello i have pain in...
hello i have pain in my chest also my shoulder hurt at night i have probleme breating and i have spams in my head on both side
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
2/23/2016
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

Is there any tenderness if you press on the chest in the area of the pain?

Have you noticed anything that makes the pain better or worse?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.

There are several considerations that could be causing these symptoms.

Acid reflux, also called gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD, is a common cause of chest pain and also can cause irritation of the lungs, causing symptoms similar to asthma. Since you were advised to take antacids, this was apparently suspected. If antacids are not sufficient to control acid reflux, then it would be appropriate to consider a medicine that suppresses the release of stomach acid, such as ranitdine or omeprazole.

Another common cause of chest pain in young adults is from musculoskeletal inflammation of the rib cage, and is, in fact, the most common cause of chest pain in young adults. Musculoskeletal inflammation does not directly affect the lungs, but the pain from movement of the rib cage can be perceived as an effect on breathing. If there is tenderness if you press in the area of pain, that is more suggestive that it is due to musculoskeletal inflammation. In this situation, an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, would typically be helpful.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What about my shoulder is it related to that pain as well as the spams in my head and they antiacid didint help at all and nothing makes the pain better or worste it just always their and also i have mucus that comes out of my through and they are like clear white

The shoulder pain and head spasms can occur with either of these conditions.

Increased mucus would suggest that the problem is acid reflux.

I understand that the antacid did not help, which is why I said above that if someone with acid reflux is not improved with antacids, it would be appropriate to use a medicine that suppresses stomach acid, such as ranitidine or omeprazole.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay well i will ask my dotor to prescribe this to me thanks alot i appreciate alot

Many of these medicines are available over the counter in many countries.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor