Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I need a right hip replacement but I am over weight 5'8' and…

Customer Question
I need a right hip...
I need a right hip replacement but I am over weight 5'8' and 320 lbs. I was told that I may weigh to much to have the operation. What are my options?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
2/22/2016
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

I think your outcome would be expected to be BETTER to lose weight prior to hip replacement surgery....that is true ....if feasible for you to lose 50 pounds then it would help your recovery and would help to give you longer duration of the prosthetic hip. If you must have repair of the hip such as a fracture then yes it may be repaired or replaced yes to that ----

It is feasible to replace the hip ...yes to that

The recovery and long term health of the hip joint would be expected to do better if you are able to lose weight as advised by the first orthopedic surgeon....

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD