Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My symptoms are similar to PMS, but have continued several…

Customer Question
My symptoms are similar to...
My symptoms are similar to PMS, but have continued several days w/no cycle starting & no possiblility of pregnancy. Although the pain in abdomen is sharper & comes and goes. Sypmtoms are tenderness of abdomen, bloating, slight lower back pain.. urination & BM's seem normal.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
2/21/2016
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

Well you seem to have a mix of symptoms ...

At times a ruptured ovarian cyst may cause some of these such as abominal or pelvic pain or some back discomfort also possible ...a ruptured ovarian cyst may cause some limited bleeding and an inflammatory reaction ...

If you had cysts then these may continue to produce estrogen / progesterone and may lack the usual sharp drop that leads to your normal menstrual cycle ....

Example is PCOS ( polycystic ovary syndrome ) not saying that you have this but it could be within a continuum from normal ovulation and typical menstrual cycle up to multiple cysts ....

The combination of missed menstrual cycle but not pregnant and the abdominal/ back symptoms suggests this would be possible cause ...

So I think you would benefit to follow up with your gynecologist and have a pelvic exam / pelvic ultrasound ....

I suspect that this would be most helpful to help direct your care going forward

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD