Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I do realize that I will need to see a doctor but until then…

Customer Question
I do realize that I...
I do realize that I will need to see a doctor but until then I am trying to get peace of mind.
I have a swollen lymph node right above the left collarbone. I figured lymph nodes can swell for a variety of reasons. But I am reading that a swollen lymph node above the collarbone is the most serious. It has even been said that most likely attributed to cancer. Is this true ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/21/2016
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

That is one of the possibilities but not very specific.

Viral infection is the most common cause.

Also fatty lump can cause similar appearance at that area.

So it does not spell doom always in fact mostly benign.

Do you have any other symptoms?
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

I do have itchy palms but not severe like talked about with Hodgkins. I do have carpal tunnel so I figured that is where the itching is coming from. But no sweats , weight loss , loss of appetite. No symptoms like that.What I believe is the lymph node is right along the collarbone directly under the ear. About the size of a pea and very movable. Is that more likely a lymph node or fatty lump
do have itchy palms but not severe like talked about with Hodgkins. I do have carpal tunnel so I figured that is where the itching is coming from. But no sweats , weight loss , loss of appetite. No symptoms like that.What I believe is the lymph node is right along the collarbone directly under the ear. About the size of a pea and very movable. Is that more likely a lymph node or fatty lump

That is not concerning for lymphoma.

The pea sized lump can be a lymph node.--one small node more likely recent viral infection.

Best wishes