Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had hiatal hernia pain for 5 hours, can I take

Customer Question
something to ease the pain...
I have had hiatal hernia pain for 5 hours, can I take something to ease the pain
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/21/2016
Doctor: Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician

Thank you for your question.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Can you please let me know which part of the abdomen is hurting?

Is it the mid part of your upper abdomen?

Do you have any other medical problems?

Are you on any medications for anything at the moment?

Please let me know.

Regards

I am on high blood pressure, etc, all taken in the morning. Pain is in stomach, hiatel hernia, pain started
around 6:30pm. I have had the flu, coughing a great deal however this has subsided in the last few days.

Thank you for the additional information.

If you are not on any medication to reduce acid in your stomach, I would strongly recommend that you should take something like omeprazole at a dose of 20 mg twice daily.

This is available without a prescription and comes by the name of prilosec and other cheaper generic formulations.

So the bot***** *****ne is that I would recommend taking omeprazole.

You can initially take two 20 mg pills initially.

It starts to work in about half an hour or so.

If your symptoms persist or are severe, you then need to be seen in the ER as you may require intravenous administration of omeprazole.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am paid here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.
Therefore, I would appreciate a rating.
Kindest regards

Therefore, I would appreciate a rating.
Kindest regards