Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am breast feeding and took 7.5 mg of zopiclone last night…

Customer Question
I am breast feeding and...
I am breast feeding and took 7.5 mg of zopiclone last night .. How long will it take to clear my system and when is it safe to start breast feeding again. I am currently pumping and dumping my breast milk
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
2/20/2016
Doctor: Dr. Abid, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor

Hi there ...

Thank you for your question ...

Zoplicone has elimination half life of almost 5 hours , and there is no significant accumulation of product in body even with repeated doses , it is metabolized in liver and mostly excreted in feces and urine .

So it is safe to breastfeed now , mean after half time has passed which is 5 hours .

So you can breastfeed now .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Please rate my answer as good service .

Thanks .

Are you there ...

Hi there ..if zopiclone has a half life of 5 hours then surely only half of it is eliminated within 5 hours, and a further half will be elongated every 5 hours after that so surely it will still be present in my breast milk for over 24 hours ...Can you recommend something else that I can take to sleep whilst breast feeding? What about the anti histamine phenegran ? I took this whilst pregnant. What are your views on this ?
Are you there?

Yes please wait ...

Occasional use of Phenergan pose little effect to breastfeed infant .

Regular use of all such type of medications are not indicated .

But Phenergan occasional use can be carried out as and when needed .

Regards .

Positive feedback will be appreciated .

Thanks .

What do you think is safe to take for sleeping whilst breast feeding ?
Your views on zopiclone are incorrect. It takes 5 hours to clear 50%, a further 5 hours to reach 25%, 5 hours to get 12.5%, 5 hours to hit 6.2%, and then another 5 hours to reach 3.1%, 5 hours to hit 1.5%, 5 hours to reach 0.75%, 5 hours to hit 0.375% etc ...

Pills like Ambien and Lunesta may be prescribed while you are on breast feed .

Regards .

Positive feedback will be appreciated .

Thanks .

What ingredients do ambien and lunesta contain ?
Can you recommend anything else ? Ambien has not effect on me
I find it hard to believe that ambien is safer than phenegran

Phenergan is better than Ambien .

No other pills can be given in lactation .

Regards .

Positive feedback will be appreciated .

Thanks .

What is the safest thing to take help one sleep whilst breast feeding ?
Where are you from?

Already we have discussed that .

So please proceed as I advised you .

Good luck .

Is there something safer that you can recommend?

No sleeping pill is absolutely safe as i already mentioned , so Phenergan can be used occasionally .

Regards .