Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am getting pains in he back of both legs particularly

Customer Question
I am getting pains...

I am getting pains in he back of both legs particularly calves

Doctor's Assistant: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.

I'm 45, male, smoker, white caucasian, height 165cm and weigh 88KG. The pain seems to be mainly when I'm sitting.

Doctor's Assistant: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?

No I don't think so... I've not had any alcohol since New Year. My BP is 135/88. My cholesterol was 6 last time it was checked. When I last had a LFT my GGT was elevated, but since then I have tried to eat more healthy and lay off the booze.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
2/20/2016
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

It will help if you could provide some further information.

How long has this been bothering you?

Are you having any other symptoms associated with the pain?

Is it tender to press on the legs?

Have you tried taking anything to ease the pain?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

Although the most common causes of pain along the back of the legs are musculoskeletal in origin, the condition that is of the greatest concern would be if there is deep venous thrombophlebitis, or DVT. This is a condition in which there is inflammation and blood clot formation in the deep veins of the legs, but the reason that this is such a concern is that a portion of the blood clot can break off and travel to the lungs, called pulmonary embolus.

There would be a greater concern for a DVT if there are associated symptoms, particularly swelling of the foot or leg or warmth along the course of the veins. If there are these associated symptoms, then it would be appropriate to be seen urgently for further evaluation.

If there are no associated symptoms, then it would be reasonable to first mange this as musculoskeletal in origin. If you have not yet tried anything for the pain, then it would be appropriate to take an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor