Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Pain in my knee that radiates down leg, The pain is on the…

Customer Question
Pain in my knee...

Pain in my knee that radiates down leg

Doctor's Assistant: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.

The pain is on the outside of my knee, right side. It radiates down my shin to the top of my foot

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/20/2016
Doctor: Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician

Thank you for your question.

Since how long are you having this problem?

Do you have any other medical problems?

Are you on any medications for anything at the moment?

Have you been seen for this? Any tests done?

What is your age and gender?

Please let me know.

Kindest regards

F/40 I haven't been since for this, no medications, no known health issues. The problem started about a month ago. It wasn't as severe as it is now.
seen
No swelling, just pain and discomfort. I also feel pain in my buttock that radiates down to my leg

Thank you for the additional information.

There are two likely explanations for your problem:

1. The most likely explanation of your symptoms seem to be a nerve pain. Nerve pain in this area can happen due to pinching of a nerve in your lower back causing the pain to be felt in your buttock and then radiate to your leg. This particular condition is called as sciatica and I presume you are most likely having this problem.
  2. Other less likely possibilities include arthritis of the joints or muscular pain but your symptoms are extremely typical of a nerve pain.

I would, therefore, strongly recommend that you should have a MRI of your lower back to diagnose your problem and then be treated accordingly.

You will likely require strong pain medications to help with your pain and will also likely require nerve pain medications like duloxetine, pregabalin and/or gabapentin.

If your symptoms persist you will likely require a cortisone shot or anesthetic injection in your lower back.

If none of this works, which is unlikely, then the final option to consider is surgery.

I would strongly recommend that you be seen for this ASAP to have this taken care of.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am paid here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.
Therefore, I would appreciate a rating.
Kindest regards

Therefore, I would appreciate a rating before you leave.
Kindest regards