Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Pain in my knee that radiates down leg, The pain is on the

Customer Question

Pain in my knee that radiates down leg
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: The pain is on the outside of my knee, right side. It radiates down my shin to the top of my foot
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Since how long are you having this problem?

Do you have any other medical problems?

Are you on any medications for anything at the moment?

Have you been seen for this? Any tests done?

What is your age and gender?

Please let me know.

Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
F/40 I haven't been since for this, no medications, no known health issues. The problem started about a month ago. It wasn't as severe as it is now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
seen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No swelling, just pain and discomfort. I also feel pain in my buttock that radiates down to my leg
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

There are two likely explanations for your problem:

1. The most likely explanation of your symptoms seem to be a nerve pain. Nerve pain in this area can happen due to pinching of a nerve in your lower back causing the pain to be felt in your buttock and then radiate to your leg. This particular condition is called as sciatica and I presume you are most likely having this problem.
  2. Other less likely possibilities include arthritis of the joints or muscular pain but your symptoms are extremely typical of a nerve pain.

I would, therefore, strongly recommend that you should have a MRI of your lower back to diagnose your problem and then be treated accordingly.

You will likely require strong pain medications to help with your pain and will also likely require nerve pain medications like duloxetine, pregabalin and/or gabapentin.

If your symptoms persist you will likely require a cortisone shot or anesthetic injection in your lower back.

If none of this works, which is unlikely, then the final option to consider is surgery.

I would strongly recommend that you be seen for this ASAP to have this taken care of.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am paid here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.
Therefore, I would appreciate a rating.
Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Therefore, I would appreciate a rating before you leave.
Kindest regards