Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Can Albuterol Sulfate cause diarrhea -- took too much from…

Customer Question
Can Albuterol Sulfate cause diarrhea...
Can Albuterol Sulfate cause diarrhea -- took too much from at home inhaler? Also some leakage. Just start at home use today.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
2/19/2016
Doctor: Dr. Hasan, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Albuterol can never cause diarrhea. It has nothing to do with the gastrointestinal tract. This might be a coincidence that you have developed diarrhea while using this. If you have fever more than 101, it can be a bacterial gastrointestinal infection and if there is no fever or fever less than 101, it might be a stomach flu. Don't worry, I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned if you have fever more than 101, you should go to your doctor but if there is no fever or less than 101, following measures can help you;

1. OTC tablet Pepto Bismol twice daily

2. Drink plenty of Gatorade

3. Eat BRAT diet only; Banana, Rice, Apple sauce and Toast.

4. In case of any body aches or fever, you can use OTC tablet Tylenol thrice daily.

Don't worry, I reassure you that this is not due to inhaler so keep using it as prescribed and there is nothing serious behind your symptoms. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards